Monday, March 19, 2007

AjaxWorld 2007 - Waiting for it to start...

So I'm getting ready to attend AjaxWorld in New York City on March 19-21 -- and I realize that the conference is not 3 full-days....it's more like 1 half-day, and 2 painfully-long-days:

Monday, 1:30pm - 5:30pm
Tuesday, 7:30am - 8pm
Wednesday, 7:30am - 7pm

Check out the schedule - it looks like there will be a lot of interesting topics....

And I like Ajax a lot, but 13 hours on Day#2 is just asking too much for a human to endure.

....looking forward to these presentations:
Ajax, The browser the platform - Douglas Crockford (a javascript god)
JavaScript, performance: speeding up Ajax Apps
Ajax Best Practices (I hope this isn't a BackBase advertisement!)
Enterprise Comet: The Real-time Web

I spend the morning having breakfast and lunch with some of the other orphaned AjaxWorld attendees who also arrive earlier than the 1:30pm start-time. One of the guys I had lunch with is Dean Allemang, who will be speaking on Day#3 about using RDFa to build Semantic Mash-ups.

Dean's great to talk to - and I formulate my own short description of RDFa and Semantic Mash-ups. But before I can describe RDFa I have to do a little setup: the Semantic Web reflects a web where the pages are not designed just for humans, but also for computers. Microformats helps by appending extra information to standard web page tags so they contain more descriptive information. RDF is a format which does something similar to Microformats for data transfers. It helps to describe that data that is being sent from machine to machine.

Many people have heard of Ajax Mashups (housingmaps.com, chicagocrime.com, etc...) which blend data with a visual API (ex: Google Maps). A Semantic mash-up merges unrelated data sources together to form a useful product (ex: bike route, with wi-fi hotspots).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I was one of the other orphaned AjaxWorld attendees that you ate lunch with :)

Great job on the outline for the conference!